So, it’s the middle of summer (for most of you, anyway), and you’ve obviously been spending extra time outdoors. School is out, or work is slow, or maybe you just like it out there. We want to know what you’ve been seeing, feeling, and thinking.
This is hereby a call for submissions
for our latest issue, Earthtones.
Yeah, you got it, tones like color, tones like sound, tones like music, tones like touch-tones or touchstones. We out here for u, Mother Earth. Submission deadline is Friday, September 5th. If you’d like to talk ideas (which we love to do!), please get in touch ASAP.
As you may know, Womanzine encourages a wide adoption of our theme. Some ideas for what earthtones could mean:
- Color swatch: what are your current earth tones? What do you see where you are rn?
- Go super wiki-def and explore umbre, ochre, and sienna, maybe in fabrics or paper?
- Or keep going w that and make something in clay? (we’ve yet to have a sculptural submission!!)
- Sincere essay on what earth tones mean for the political power of native American tribes.
- Sexy essay on how earth tones are like skin tones.
- Scientific essay on the affect of earth tones on the urban psyche.
- Sound board of earthy tones a la an internet meme sound board (touch-tones!)
- Video, Instagram vid, Vine, whatever «< of the earth tones you see in your dreams.
- Poem about the way summer haze gray/blue is like no other summer sky.
- Essay about how you live in a place where summer is not “summer” and how you deal with it.
- Why do u hate summer? Are winter earth tones better???
- What are your favorite deep nature places?
- Draw tha earth? Draw tha earth as a weird earth?
- Go outside. Record it (using any kind of multimedia). Edit it. Submit it.
- Like rushing water. Crunching thru snow. The call of a loon. Y’all we’re getting romantic here.
- Strange, or totally literal, interpretation of the word touchstone (get it, stone—earth—or tone?)
- Give us a full history of earth tones in fashion, or in design, or in construction materials.
- So many other things!
Be sure to check back here (our Tumblr
) for inspiration — you’re guaranteed lots of sexy, weird, and blissed-out summer gifs, at least. ALSO pls pass this call along to your women or woman-identifying friends — we’re always looking for fresh faces.
Oh and one more cool thing: you can now become a Womanzine subscriber! Have you loved us for many years or issues? Now you can show it! ♥ Subscribe here or on the button on our site.