Though visual patterns tend to rule on the Internet, we want you to know we are looking for submissions related to all kinds of patterns. Including, but not limited to: speech patterns, flight patterns, migration patterns, weather patterns, relationship patterns, psychological patterns, the pattern of history, the pattern of one’s day, etc. Patterns can be template-based, mathematical (fractals), or observed through smell, taste, or sound.
As usual, we’d love for you to get creative. Ways you might present a pattern:
- Found sound
- Video, image, vine, etc. <— we love multimedia!
- Pattern gif
- Emoji pattern gif (too meta?)
- Re-create a pattern (visual or otherwise)
- DIY/how-to pattern lesson
- Pattern research (i.e. migration patterns of beetles, a design history profile of Ray Eames)
- Personal essay on that significant gift someone got you and its giftwrap pattern or other some such
- Patterns in pop culture
- Wallpaper patterns on television
- The patterns of Golden Girls
- Document every instance of Hinson’s Martinique wallpaper (starting with GG!)
- Fashion: how to pattern mix
- A qualitative approach to thrifting patterns
We’ll be Tumbling
inspiration for the issue, which, beyond giving you ideas, will just be incredibly rad. Because patterns are the best.